Saturday 11 January 2014

2013.....a mixed bag. Part 1

Gosh....looking back at my angling adventures over the year just past.  I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of my time on the bank and afloat.  The previous few years have been equally rewarding, but in different ways as my pursuit of catching big barbel had become a little too obsessive.  However I needed to change as those late late night's were starting to take their toll;  Bags under the eyes, grey hair etc.
So last year I broke the habit and tried very hard to branch out and embrace new and exciting fishing techniques and revisit the old tried and trusted methods to re-ignite my passion with my limited time available.  Barbel fishing would still figure as you'll see, but I tried to become a little more sociable and make the time to attend a few club fish-ins, fish with friends and have some days casting a fly again.


Take care....

Well last winter and into spring where dominated by floods and cold weather.  Those short sessions during the evening did limit me somewhat. The rivers were far too cold and dangerous so I had to pick my sessions carefully, and shouldn't have fished on a few occasions.  Knowing the river banks when in flood is essential for your safety, and I can honestly say upon refection that I took too many risks, even thought I know my patch.  I'm not paid to fish, I've got no article deadlines to commit too.  No fish is worth risking your life, and the events of last year have hit home to me that what's most important is your family. 


Short and sweet...

On a brighter note I did catch a few nice fish during these tough months.  I caught a personal best chub weighing a modest 6lb 3oz on a Thames trib, but plenty of room for improvement.  Please excuse the head gear, but it was -7c.

  
The pike fishing improved on my local gravel pit while the rivers had burst their banks once again.   I equalled my best with a lovely double.  That 20lber still eluded me though.


 


 But who needs to catch big fish when you are blessed with wildlife and views like this.


 Before the river season closed I did sneak out a river Kennet best barbel of 13lb 6oz. A fitting end to the river season.


Now as the very cold month of April arrived it was last chance saloon pike fishing with dead-baits.  After visiting an old trout lake this rather lovely 21lb 7oz pike graced my net on my first attempt.  Beginners luck and my first ever twenty.


With the rivers closed and my thoughts turning to fly fishing.  I had the pleasure of spending a couple of days during late spring into summer with Graham Elliott, fly fishing for trout on Farmoor reservoir.  Now Graham is an extremely good coarse angler and very competent fly-fisher.  With fly fishing it's all about chopping and changing and as they saying 'matching the hatch'.  Well we had fun, got frustrated when things weren't going our way, and had a few mishaps with the casting.  I recall Graham is now missing his left ear ;).  Now that's a poor show from a fly-fisher with over 30 years experience.  Graham I owe you an ear.  However we caught lots of rainbows and they fought like any double figure barbel.  Here's some of our highlights.

There's a rainbow at the end of that rainbow.

 
Graham with a hard earned trout.

 
 
Me...with a double...chin
 
 
Sunset at the end of a fine day
 
 
 
 
Lastly, the early summer ended well for my daughter Tahlia.  She beat her best ever haul of fish by some margin.  Go girl!!
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment