Wednesday 16 July 2014

Pastures new

It's been a little too long since I updated this page.  The usual excuse of lack of time and also there was not a great deal worth writing about in terms of experiences and catches.  I didn't see the point in repeating content I'd already posted.  Yes I caught a good few trout to the dry fly, which was exciting and equally frustrating.  I dabbled briefly with tench, but struggled on the big pit and my heart wasn't really in it, as camping isn't my chosen pastime.  However I was confident once the rivers opened that my passion would be reignited, whilst targeting my beloved river fish and in particular barbel during the summer and autumn months.

Over the past 6 or 7 years the river Loddon has held my affection.  For the night time fisher it brings an atmosphere difficult to describe, and impossible to appreciate unless you're spending time there, sitting under the stars. With darkness, a stillness descends, occasionally broken by the cry from a nearby fox, or disturbance from a deer foraging in the undergrowth.  Or the rise and subsequent splash of a chub as it takes a sedge, the roll of barbel over the slow meandering streamer weed - all adding to the anticipation that something might happen.  Willing the isotopes to give an indication, after hours of swaying with the slow flowing water and submerged cabbages.  I love this little river and am now completely at ease in the gloom.

                                                                Old haunts, but stunning.

This season I decided to try and emulate the success I'd experienced a few seasons back, by adopting a tried and trusted approach learnt from a good friend some years before.  To achieve this was going to be a tall order, but it was important that I removed some of the distractions from my fishing, to give it every chance. Those distractions were in the form of other rivers, like the Kennet and Thames and familiar stretches of the Loddon.  It was all too easy to retreat back to more prolific and familiar venues when times get tough.  Most serious, or should I say obsessed barbel anglers need a fresh challenge, and recapturing the same fish season after season might be okay for some, but it's not for me at this time, as I've had my fair share of recaptures.  I have every respect for those that do and wish them well. Of course not to return would be a lie, as the urge to reacquaint myself with old friends will come I'm sure, but not at this moment.

                                                      An old friend with an eating disorder

My chosen home has no particular history in terms of huge barbel and remains fairly quiet, which is mostly down to it's low and probably dwindling barbel population, or perhaps it's untapped potential, which only time spent learning will realise.  I fished here during the floods at the tail end of last season and happened to discover a few of it's resident whiskery inhabitants, so knew from experience it wouldn't be a completely lost cause.

                                                                        Pastures new

June through to July on this pretty river, has always been challenging on stretches with low stock.  Not knowing if the barbel have returned from their spawning gravel beds, up to their holding areas is difficult to determine, and is usually based on fellow anglers results.  Not being familiar with their holding areas also puts me at a disadvantage, but this will come over time, and every hour spent here is not wasted as a subconscious picture is built.  So with a couple of swims carefully chosen, well away from the already disturbed vegetation, I was ready for my journey of discovery.

True to form the Loddon is no pushover.

Blank, blank, chub, blank, blank, blank, blank, chub. Jackpot! Approximately 30hrs in total, but the prize is worth every single minute.

                                                             A pristine 12lber and a start.












2 comments:

  1. Excellent writing Paul, the Loddon is indeed a special river and at night it has a "personality" all it's own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neil, glad you enjoyed reading my last entry. You've given me an idea for the next installment. thx

      Delete